With summer comes longer days, warmer weather, and lots of outdoor playtime! If you're looking for some new and easy lunch ideas to keep your kiddos fueled up and ready to go, look no further. Here are 10 fun and easy summer lunch ideas that the whole family will love!
1. DIY Pizzas: Let each kiddo top their own personal mini pizza with their favorite toppings. This is a great way to use up leftover veggies from dinner, too!
2. Spaghetti Salad: A cold spin on a classic favorite, this dish can be made ahead of time and served cold or at room temperature. Simply cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions, then mix in your favorite salad ingredients (we like cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, and shredded cheese). Add a little Italian dressing, give it a mix, and voila!
3. Peanut Butter & Banana Sushi: For a fun and healthy twist on sushi, make PB&B "sushi"! Spread peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla, top with thinly sliced bananas, roll it up, and slice into bite-sized pieces. Yum!
4. Ants on a Log: A perennial lunchbox favorite! Simply spread peanut butter (or cream cheese) on celery sticks, then top with raisins or other small dried fruit. So easy, yet so satisfying!
5. Cold Chicken Wraps: Perfect for using up leftovers from dinner the night before, these wraps can be customized to include your kiddo's favorite fillings. Just add some chopped cooked chicken, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes or cucumbers, and a dollop of mayo or ranch dressing to a whole wheat tortilla, roll it up tightly, then slice into bite-sized pieces. Yum!
6. Caprese Skewers: A fun and easy way to enjoy the flavors of summer! Simply thread cherry tomatoes onto skewers alternating with fresh mozzarella balls (you could also use cubed cheddar cheese). Sprinkle with a little salt & pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar or olive oil before serving. So light & refreshing!
7. Fresh Fruit Kabobs: Another fun way to enjoy summer fruits! Simply thread chunks of watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries onto skewers (if using wooden skewers, be sure to soak in water for 30 minutes beforehand). Serve as is or with a yogurt dipping sauce.
8. Cucumber Boats: A cool & refreshing twist on the classic cucumber sandwich! Start with thin slices of cucumber, then top with your favorite sandwich fillings. We like cream cheese mixed with shredded chicken or canned tuna (drained), but the possibilities are endless!
9. Watermelon Faces: This one is sure to put a smile on your kiddos' faces! Simply cut watermelon slices into shapes using cookie cutters then use smaller cookie cutters or sharp knives to carve out features like eyes & mouths. So cute & refreshing!
10. Summer Sunshine Bowls: These bowls are perfect for those mornings when you don't quite know what to make for breakfast but still want something healthy & filling. Simply layer some Greek yogurt (vanilla or honey flavored), granola or cereal (we like oats), fresh berries or diced fruit in a bowl then serve chilled or at room temperature. So simple & delicious!
We hope you enjoyed these 10 fun & easy summer lunch ideas for kids!